We are all aware about baking soda’s health benefits. It’s commonly used as a natural remedy against anything from colds to cancer. Plus, it’s extremely beneficial for oral health, personal hygiene, skin and hair care and last, but not least, as a cleaning agent.
Baking soda has such amazing uses that you should always have an ample supply at hand.
The health benefits of baking soda include:
- a reduced risk and prevention of diarrhea, metabolic acidosis, acidity, peptic ulcer, and drug intoxication,
- improved skin and hair quality due to its antipruritic (anti-itching) properties,
- effective treatment of cold and flu,
- plaque removal,
- prevention of hyperkalemia, bladder infection and kidney stones.
Aside from these, baking soda has many other uses that are less known. Read on and find out how you can reap most of its benefits.
- After a strenuous workout, to relieve muscle pain, drink a mixture of water and baking soda.
- Take an old toothbrush and remove grime and fungus from your nails some baking soda on it.
- In a basin mix 3 tablespoons baking soda, 1 tablespoon peppermint essential oil, 1 tablespoon salt and warm water. Soak your hands and feet for 20 minutes. This method will ease itching, soreness and odor.
- In order to freshen up your breath, you should mix some baking soda with water and gargle.
- Put some baking soda on your toothbrush and brush your teeth. This is the most effective home remedy for tooth-whitening.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda and a teaspoon water to make a gentle face exfoliator. This treatment will effectively remove excess facial oil and dead skin cells from your face.
- Apply some baking soda on bee stings, insect bites, itching from poison ivy, oak, etc. to relieve the pain and itching.
- Speed up the healing of canker sores and herpes by applying a mixture of baking soda and water directly on the affected place.
Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux
Baking soda is the right remedy for you if you are frequently suffering from acid reflux. You should mix ½ tsp. baking soda with 2 tbs. of fresh lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar. When the fizzling stops, add 8oz water. In order to neutralize the pH imbalance, reduce acid reflux and create an alkaline environment in your body, you should drink this remedy all at once.
You can use baking soda also to reduce symptoms of heartburn and GERD. All you have to do is to mix ½ tsp. baking soda and 16 oz. water and drink.
Other Baking Soda Home Remedies
Diabetes and even cancer can be prevented with the use of a mixture of baking soda and molasses, according to Dr. Mark.
- To remove oral thrush gargle with a mixture of baking soda and water.
- To treat UTI, drink a mixture of 8 oz. water and ½ tsp. baking soda twice a day.
- To relieve the symptoms of thrombosis mix baking soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- To eliminate Candida yeast and stop itching douche with a mixture of 1 tbs. baking soda mixed with warm water.
- Apart from its amazing uses, baking soda remedies are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women or children under 5.
- You must be cautious when using baking soda treatments as they can interfere with the effect of your prescription medications. You should always consult your physician before starting any baking soda treatments.
- You should also know that baking soda should always be used dissolved and never in its powder form.
- We should also mention that, baking soda home remedies are never recommended if you are on a low sodium diet since it can drain essential vitamins and minerals from your body. And never use baking soda remedies longer than 14 days in a row without having consulted your GP.
Source: Healthy Food Team